The Frostbuster really is a unique machine in the fight against night frost for fruit and wine growers.
If you look for a cheaper frost protection per are: you will find none. It can be used not only during radiation frost but also during wind frost, and a lot of farmers use the Frostbuster to improve their crop’s fruit set.
How Does It Work?
The Frostbuster is a trailed machine. The powerful fan is driven by the PTO of the tractor. In the air inlet of the fan, there is a gas burner that heats the air up to 176 to 212° Fahrenheit. At the back of the machine are the containers for the gas bottles.
The heated air is blown between the vineyard through 2 outlets (1 at the left and 1 at the right). Because the air flow is so powerful, we cover a distance up to 130 to 165 feet at each side of the machine. Therefore, it’s only necessary to drive through the rows every 200 to 300 feet. We will calculate for you the ideal circuit which is different for almost every location. However, it is very important to pass at the same spot within 10 minutes. The total surface that can be protected depends on the shape and the dimensions of the plot.
There are 3 factors that make the Frostbuster work:
- The increase of temperature.
- A very important factor is the creation of temperature fluctuations: at each passing of the Frostbuster, the temperature rises shortly and drops again. These fluctuations create a big part of the protection that we get with the Frostbuster.
- Probably the most important factor is the influence on the relative humidity. Wherever the Frostbuster is used, the relative humidity goes down. Because of this, the dew point is raised significantly. Therefore, there will be less hoar-frost and less ice on the plants. Result: no or very little damage.
Advantages of the Frostbuster
- Better fruit set.
- Cheap: other systems will cost at least 3 times more for the same protected surface.
- Not a fix installation but mobile so it can be used in every plot.
- Low consumption therefore a low price per hour.
- Low maintenance costs.
- Environmental friendly: burning of propane gas.
- No risk of diseases as in case of the use of water.[/one_half]
- Easy to use.
- Can be used to heat up plastic tunnels (in England frequently used for this).
- Works not only in case of radiation frost but also in case of wind frost.
- Multiple uses: fruit bearing, drying fruit, etc.
- No permits needed (like for construction or environment).
- Possibility to set up and run quickly.
- Fast shut down for example when the temperature rises quickly.
|Weight without gas cylinders||2336 lbs|
|Maximum capacity||20 Acres|
|Capacity of fan||7946 cu ft per hour|
|Max. range of fan||328 feet|
|Max. rpm of PTO||600 rpm|
|Average gas consumption||88.2 lbs hour / 20.8 gallons hour|
|Max. temperature||212 F|
|Max. temperature at 3 feet||68 °C|
|Gas cylinders||4 or 6
(depending on country)
|Tested with temperatures||15 to 17 °F in certain
stages of flowering
|Min. required HP of tractor||65 hp|
Financing Available up to 7 years with approved credit.
* Tanks not included
** Based on 1.34 Exchange Rate